With mid-year Virginia candidates’ fundraising numbers now within the books, it’s time to take a look at the great, the dangerous and the ugly…from a Democratic perspective.
THE GOOD (or EXCELLENT)
- Including up complete money raised from four/1 to 6/30 for the most important “Leadership PACs” listed on VPAP, Democrats outraised Republicans by greater than a 2:1 margin – $831okay to $406okay. That’s excellent news…in the event you’re on the “blue team,” that’s. 🙂
- Including up complete cash raised from four/1 to 6/30 by political celebration/caucus committees, it’s even higher for Democrats, who outraised Republicans by a huge $2.6 million-$1.zero million margin. Wow!
- Gov. Northam’s “The Way Ahead” PAC seems to be back in enterprise, raising $309,707 from four/1 to six/30, and with almost $1 million cash available.
- Mark Herring’s “One Commonwealth” PAC additionally raised respectable money ($151okay) from four/1 to six/30
- Home Democratic Chief Del. Eileen Filler-Corn’s “Energized for Change” PAC raised $147okay from 4/1 to six/30.
- Del. Jennifer Carroll Foy’s “Virginia for Everyone” PAC raised $138okay from 4/1 to six/30.
- The Democratic Celebration of Virginia ($690okay), House Democratic Caucus ($806okay), Senate Dem Caucus ($660okay) and joint Home-Senate Dem Caucus ($407okay) all raised a ton of cash from four/1 to 6/30.
- Nice job by SD7 Dem nominee Cheryl Turpin, who raised 3x the sum of money as her Republican opponent ($127okay to $44okay) in June, and who has 3x as a lot “cash on hand” ($120okay to $40okay). That’s why Chaz Nuttycombe moved this district’s score from “Tilt D” to “Lean D.” Good.
- Additionally, nice job by SD8 Dem nominee Missy Cotter Smasal, who outraised her anti-Muslim Republican opponent, Bill “Rub Me Lamp” DeSteph by a $102k-$88okay margin, and who has principally closed the “cash-on-hand” gap with DeSteph in this 50% Northam district.
- SD10 Dem nominee Ghazala Hashmi is rockin’ it, outraising her Republican opponent, Glen Sturtevant, by a big margin ($183k-$114okay). Keep it up!
- SD11 Dem nominee Amanda Pohl (as I name her, the “Good Amanda”) outraised her far-right, wackadoodle opponent Sen. Amanda Chase (the “Bad Amanda”) by an almost 2:1 margin ($41k-$23okay). Go Good Amanda! 🙂
- SD12 Dem nominee Debra Rodman raised slightly more ($147k-$144okay) than her Republican opponent, Sen. Siobhan Dunnavant. This one’s going to be a barnburner in a 52% Northam district, but undoubtedly winnable for the “blue team.” Go Debra Rodman!
- SD13 Dem nominee John Bell has almost 3x the cash-on-hand ($240k-$89okay) as his far-right Republican opponent, Geary Higgins. One word of pretty delicate concern: Higgins principally tied Bell in fundraising during June. This can be a must-win district for the Dems, by the best way…
- SD17 Dem nominee Amy Laufer critically kicked butt in June, outraising her Republican opponent Sen. Bryce Reeves by a $158k-$44okay margin, and with almost as much cash-on-hand on this 50% Gillespie district.
- Del. Jennifer Carroll Foy (D-HD02) outraised her Republican opponent, Heather Mitchell, by an unlimited margin ($113k-$1.3k), and has an enormous quantity extra money than Mitchell ($182k-$12okay). Nice!
- Del. Chris Hurst (D-HD12) outraised his Republican opponent, Forrest Hite, by an enormous margin ($54k-$2k), and has massively extra cash-on-hand ($196k-$eight.5k) on this 53% Northam district.
- HD20 Dem nominee Jennifer Lewis outraised her Republican opponent, John Avoli, by an almost 4:1 margin and has a $19.7k-$2.3k cash-on-hand benefit on this robust, 57% Gillespie district.
- Del. Kelly Fowler (D-HD21) outraised her Republican opponent, Shannon Kane, by an almost four:1 margin ($43k-$12okay) and has an $82k-$55okay cash-on-hand advantage on this 56% Northam district.
- HD27 Dem nominee Larry Barnett outraised his opponent, Del. Roxann Robinson, by a $71k-$39okay margin, and has slightly extra cash-on-hand ($170k-$166okay) than Robinson on this 51% Northam district. Do I odor Dem pickup? Go Larry Barnett!
- HD28 Dem nominee Joshua Cole has an enormous cash-on-hand advantage ($158k-$7k) over his far-right Republican opponent, Paul Milde, on this 51% Northam district. Milde did increase a bit extra money than Cole in June, but he’s going to have to actually crank it as much as ever catch Cole.
- Del. Elizabeth Guzman (D-HD31) has a Republican opponent (DJ Jordan) who can undoubtedly increase money, however Guzman is greater than holding her personal. In June, Guzman outraised Jordan $48k-$41okay, and she’s received a big cash-on-hand benefit ($185k-$134okay) on this 56% Northam district.
- HD33 Dem nominee Mavis Taintor outraised her far-right Republican opponent, Del. Dave LaRock, by almost 2:1 ($35k-$19okay) and has much more cash-on-hand ($61k-$17okay) in this 54% Gillespie district.
- HD40 Dem nominee Dan Helmer outraised his Republican opponent, Del. Tim Hugo, by a $104k-$71okay margin. Helmer has plenty of cash-on-hand ($286okay), though he still has a ways to go to catch Hugo, who has $403okay. This can be a 55% Northam district, by the best way, so Helmer undoubtedly can win this race – let’s all help him achieve this!
- Del. Hala Ayala (D-HD51) outraised her Republican opponent, former Del. Wealthy Anderson, by a hefty $61k-$23okay margin, and has extra cash-on-hand than Anderson on this 55% Northam district.
- HD66 Dem nominee Sheila Bynum-Coleman outraised Speaker Kirk Cox by an $87k-$77okay margin, though she still trails Cox $448k-$131okay on this 52% Northam district.
- Del. Daybreak Adams (D-HD68) has round 6x the cash-on-hand ($174k-$28okay) of her Republican opponent, Garrison Coward, in this 56% Northam district.
- Del. Schuyler VanValkenburg (D-HD72) outraised his Republican opponent, GayDonna Vandergriff, by a $46k-$28okay margin, and has much more cash-on-hand ($141k-$60okay) on this 54% Northam district.
- Very impressive displaying by HD73 Dem nominee Rodney Willett, who outraised his Republican opponent, Mary Margaret Kastelberg, by an $89k-$35okay margin, and who has much more cash-on-hand ($151k-$65okay) in this 53% Northam district. Go Rodney Willett!
- Additionally very impressive displaying by HD83 Dem nominee Nancy Guy, who outraised her Republican opponent, Del. Chris Stolle, by round 2:1 ($55k-$27okay) and who has almost caught Stolle in cash-on-hand on this 55% Northam district. Go Nancy Man!
- Great job by HD85 Dem nominee Alex Askew, who outraised her Republican opponent, Rocky Holcomb, by an almost 4:1 margin ($82k-$22okay) and who has much more cash-on-hand ($122k-$34okay) on this 53% Northam district. Go Alex Askew!
- HD91 Dem nominee Martha Mugler outraised her Republican opponent, Colleen Holcomb, by a $21k-$8k margin, and has twice the cash-on-hand ($21k-$11okay) on this 54% Northam district.
- Del. Mike Mullin (D-HD93) outraised his Republican opponent, Heather Cordasco, by a huge margin ($26,457-$3,785) and has much more cash-on-hand ($48k-$3.7k) in this 56% Northam district.
- HD94 Dem nominee Shelly Simonds outraised her Republican opponent, Del. David Yancey, by an almost 2:1 margin ($95k-$51okay), and is catching as much as Yancey when it comes to cash-on-hand in this 60% Northam district. Time for Shelly Simonds to win this one outright, particularly provided that Yancey’s only there because his identify was drawn from a ceramic bowl last time around.
- I maintain hearing what a powerful candidate HD100 Dem nominee Phil Hernandez is, and he showed it in June, outraising his Republican opponent, Del. Rob Bloxom, by an unimaginable margin ($96k-$475!). Hernandez now has FAR extra cash-on-hand ($151k-$26okay) than Bloxom, in this 53% Northam district. Actually sensing a red-to-blue flip right here – go Phil Hernandez!
- Loudoun County Board of Supervisors (Blue Ridge district) Dem nominee Tia Walbridge outraised Republican Supervisor Tony Buffington $99k-$46okay, and almost caught Buffington when it comes to cash-on-hand. Nice job by Tia Walbridge!
- Prince William County Board Chair Dem nominee Ann Wheeler outraised her batsh**-crazy Republican opponent, John Gray, $21k-$4k, and has much more cash-on-hand ($48k-$20okay). Go Ann Wheeler!
- Prince William County Board (Potomac District) Dem nominee Andrea Bailey outraised her Republican opponent, Doug Taggart, by a $17k-$3k margin, and has a robust cash-on-hand lead of $34k-$2k. Go Andrea Bailey!
- Sen. Lynwood Lewis (D-SD6) was outraised by his Republican opponent, Elizabeth Lankford, by a 2:1 margin ($36k-$17okay), although he still has greater than twice her cash-on-hand on this 58% Northam district. Nonetheless..would relatively see Lewis outraising Lankford.
- Dems didn’t do this properly in a bunch of robust, red-leaning State Senate districts. For example, within the 60% Northam SD3 and SD4, the Dem nominees have been outraised $51k-$6k and $43k-$5k, respectively. They’re additionally massively behind when it comes to cash-on-hand. Not nice in any respect.
- In SD28, Dem nominee Qasim Rashid was outraised by Republican Sen. Richard Stuart by a $62k-$28okay margin, and has less than half Stuart’s cash-on-hand in this 54% Gillespie district. Not good.
- Del. Wendy Gooditis (D-HD10) was outraised by her Republican opponent, former Del. Randy Minchew, $71k-$63okay, AND trails Minchew in cash-on-hand ($260k-$182okay) on this 54% Northam district. Again, not good…undoubtedly frightened about this one.
- Del. Danica Roem (D-HD13) was outraised by her Republican opponent, Kelly McGinn, by a $43k-$35okay margin, though Roem still has a lead in cash-on-hand ($135k-$107okay) on this 57% Northam district.
- HD76 Dem nominee Clint Jenkins was outraised $58k-$44okay by his Republican opponent, Del. Chris Jones. That wouldn’t be so dangerous, except that Jones began with an enormous cash-on-hand lead, and how has an awesome $651okay to Jenkins’ $50okay. The excellent news: this can be a 60% Northam district, so there’s still hope, regardless of the huge cash advantage for Jones.
- HD82 Dem nominee Gayle Johnson was outraised by her Republican opponent, Del. Jason Miyares, $20k-$5k, and has just $21okay cash-on-hand vs. Miyares’ $131okay in this 52% Gillespie district.
- HD84 Dem nominee Karen Mallard was outraised by her Republican opponent, Del. Glenn Davis, $119k-$47okay, and trails in cash-on-hand by $128k-$88okay, on this 52% Northam district.
- Loudoun County Board Chair Phyllis Randall (D) is dealing with a very robust challenge by former Virginia GOP Chair John Whitbeck. In June, Whitbeck outraised Randall $58k-$39okay, extending his cash-on-hand result in $253k-$147okay, and utilizing that cash partially to reinvent himself from the hard-right partisan Republican he’s all the time been to some type of average. It’s super frustrating to observe this, having adopted Whitbeck’s godawful profession the previous few years.
- Prince William County Board Chair (Brentsville district) Dem nominee Maggie Hansford was outraised by her Republican opponent, Supervisor Jeanine Lawson, $19k-$8k, and trails in cash-on-hand by an almost 2:1 margin ($121k-$64okay) in this red-leaning part of the county.
- Prince William County Board (Occoquan district) Dem nominee Kenny Boddye was outraised by his Republican opponent, Supervisor Ruth Anderson, $18k-$8k, and trails in cash-on-hand by a $62k-$5k margin in this blue-leaning part of PW County.
- Chesterfield County Board (Midlothian district) Dem nominee Javaid Siddiqi was outraised by his Republican opponent, Leslie Haley, $8k-$4k, and trails in cash-on-hand $53k-$6k. this one’s borderline “ugly.”
- I’m otherwise targeted on Dems in this Good/Dangerous/Ugly listing, however I have to level out that the Republican Celebration of Virginia raised just $36,385 from 4/1 to 6/30, which is pathetic in and of itself, but a MASSIVE joke when compared to the Democratic Social gathering of Virginia’s $690,282. That is, consider it or not, a 19:1 margin for the Democrats over the Republicans. Benefit: Susan Swecker! 🙂
- HD26 Dem nominee Brent Finnegan was outraised more than 4:1 by his Republican opponent, Del. Tony Wilt, and has just $9,842 cash-on-hand, far less than Wilt’s $88okay cash-on-hand, on this 53% Gillespie district.
- HD54 Dem nominee Neri Canahui-Ortiz was outraised more than 2:1 by her Republican opponent, Del. Bobby Orrock, and has simply $7k cash-on-hand, in comparison with Orrock’s $208okay, in this 53% Gillespie district. Ugh.
- HD58 Dem nominee Elizabeth Alcorn was outraised $42k-$9k by her Republican opponent, Del. Rob Bell, and has just a tiny fraction of Bell’s money ($309k-$11okay) on this 55% Gillespie district.
- HD62 Dem nominee Lindsey Dougherty was outraised 2:1 by her Republican opponent, Carrie Coyner, and has lower than one-tenth Coyner’s cash-on-hand ($135k-$12okay) on this 51% Gillespie district.
- Fairfax County Board (Springfield District) Dem nominee Linda Sperling was outraised big-time ($55k-$8k) by her Republican opponent, Supervisor Pat Herrity, and now has less than one-sixth Herrity’s cash-on-hand ($181k-$27okay). Not good at all.